Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Stand Alone Trade Permits

Permits for minor residential installations are referred to as Stand Alone Trade Permits. If a project requires more than one type of installation, it is referred to as a Multi-Trade Permit. Many of these small projects can be permitted without plans. These projects include work such as installing a new electrical circuit, replacing a heating system or adding or replacing a water heater. Ensure that you obtain a permit before beginning work. Beginning a job without a valid permit is subject to a $100 penalty, which must be paid before a permit can be obtained.

Application & Issuance of Stand Alone or Multi-Trade Permits

ONLINE:The quickest and easiest way to obtain Stand Alone and Multi-Trade permits is to apply, pay, and print your permit through the Development, Inspection, & Permit Portal. There is no need to come into the office or fax in an application. When you apply for Stand Alone and Multi-Trade permits online, you can pay using a credit card and your permit is ready to download and print at application. This service is offered for commercial and residential permits.

icon for development portal
 Development, Permit, & Inspection Portal

VIA EMAIL OR FAX: If you are not able to use the portal, you can email a copy of the Stand Alone and Multi-Trade Permit Application to or fax it to (828) 259-5676. Your permit will be processed within 48 hours of receipt when using these methods.

PERMIT APPLICATION CENTER: If you choose to submit your application in person at the Permit Application Center, it will be accepted, processed, and issued as you wait. 

Information Required for a Stand Alone and Multi-Trade Permit

  • Completed Stand Alone and Multi-Trade Permit Application
  • The building permit number, if any. This number can be obtained from the home owner or the General Contractor who hired applicant to do the work.
  • Physical street address of the job.
  • Property owner’s name.
  • Description of the work.
  • Job cost (the amount applicant is charging for the work). If working at a single family dwelling, duplex, or if working under a building permit this information is not required.
  • In some cases, the Property Identification Number or PIN will be required if city staff cannot find the site in the city’s computer system.

Fee Payment

When a General Contractor or homeowner applies for a Building Permit, he or she is required to submit plans and fees for all of the work on the project, including any work to be done by subcontractors. Therefore, fees for Stand Alone Permits may already have been paid on some jobs. When hired by a General Contractor or homeowner, always ask them if they have a Building Permit and, if so, ask them for the number. Then contact the Development Services Department (via email or fax) and request that the city “activate” permit. This must be done by applicant (i.e. subcontractor) of permit (not the General Contractor or homeowner) before beginning work.

Questions? Email